Whether you are hunting in a remote location far from your home or simply doing some yard work — wearing high-quality footwear is essential. A good pair of boots will protect you from injuries and help you remain comfortable.
Good footwear is even more important if you venture into locations where there could be snakes. A good pair of snake proof boots will prevent a snake bite and could potentially save your life. They also give you the confidence you need chasing your prey during a hunt and venturing into locations where snakes thrive.
This guide will share some useful tips for finding the right pair of snake proof boots. We’ll also share 5 of the best snake proof boots on the market!
The risks that snakes pose
The United States also has its fair share of deadly snakes. Hunters should be particularly concerned about Copperheads, Cottonmouths, Coral Snakes, and Rattlesnakes. They are all quite aggressive species capable of killing a human with their toxic venom.
On average, between 7,000 to 8,000 people are bitten by a venomous snake each year in the United States. However, thanks to quick medical intervention, there are only 5-6 fatalities per year. Even if the risk of death is low, getting bitten by a snake is very painful and immediately ruins your hunting trip! You would have to rush to seek medical treatment or put your life at risk. If you are hunting far from civilization, it can be very difficult to make it back to a hospital in time.
Wearing snake proof boots give you excellent while hunting. Helping you enjoy your time in the field and greatly reducing the risk of a snake bite.
Tips for choosing the right pair of snake proof boots
Here are some simple tips to help you find a pair of snake proof boots that are comfortable, durable, and well-made!
Make sure you only purchase snake proof boots with good coverage
Snakes are powerful animals capable of some very impressive acrobatic feats. The fastest snake in the world, the black mamba, can strike at a speed of up to 5.4 meters per second.
Snakes can strike at a height of between 1/3 to 1/2 of their total length. That means if you are standing next to a 6 foot long snake, they could theoretically strike 3 feet up your body.
Because of a snake’s ability to strike high, a good pair of snake proof hunting boots should have a high shaft that covers more of your legs. If you are hunting in an area where there are snakes that have a high reach and are often hidden until stepped upon, consider wearing snake chaps as well.
More: Best Rubber Hunting Boots Available On Amazon
Considering the fit of the boot
Nothing can ruin a hunting trip faster than wearing ill-fitting boots that cause discomfort. Most snake proof hunting boots tend to be on the tight side, so it can often be worth buying a pair that are half a size larger than normal shoes. If the boots are a little loose, wear thicker socks, which will improve the comfort of the shoe and keep your feet warmer in winter.
If you opt for a pair of leather boots, remember that they do take some time to wear in. You should wear them around the house for a few weeks before venturing into the wilderness with them on.
The rigidity of the boot is another important factor. Leather and snake proof textiles are more flexible, which most people find more comfortable. Rubber can be more rigid, which some people find less comfortable on long hikes.
Consider the durability of the boot’s materials
Hunting boots need to be seriously tough to survive the rugged conditions of the great outdoors. Snake proof boots need to be even tougher! That’s why most snake proof boots are made from rugged materials like natural/synthetic leather, rubber, kevlar, denim, or Cordura® nylon.
A good pair of snake proof hunting boots will highlight the kinds of materials used to prevent a snake strike penetrating the boot. If they barely describe the materials being used, it’s typically a bad sign! The materials used must be very hard-wearing and capable of withstanding the harsh treatment they might get while you are in the field. Ideally, the materials used should also be waterproof.
You should also consider the inner lining of the boot. A boot with a Gore-tex or natural fiber lining will be more comfortable to wear for long periods.
What environments will you be wearing the boot in?
The type of environments that you hunt in will determine the best type of hunting boot to purchase. If you are working in dry conditions, you will probably want to avoid rubber-based boots as they are less breathable. Hunting boots that incorporate snake proof fabrics can work well in warmer climates, because they let some heat out.
Conversely, if you are hunting in wet environments, rubber and synthetic leather will work best. They will completely block water from entering the boot and keep your feet warm.
More: 5 Best Winter Hunting Boots
Consider the boot’s closures
The boot’s closures are the mechanism that secures the foot in the boot. Many types of snake proof hunting boots will use zippers or laces. The downside of zippers is that mud and debris can become stuck in the teeth — eventually making the zipper difficult to operate.
Laces can be slower to put on, but avoid that problem. Having boots with laces that run all the way up the shin will make it easier to secure the boot and ensure it fits snugly.
Some snake proof hunting boots are simply pulled on. Pull-on boots sometimes have a single strap which can be tightened to ensure the fit is snug. They are quick and easy to put on, but may not fit as well for some people.
Consider the camouflage
Remaining camouflaged is very important if you are hunting game with excellent eyesight, like turkey, pheasants, and ducks. You should look for a pair of snake proof boots that has a camouflage pattern that is suitable for the environment where you hunt.
More: The 5 Best Hiking Boots In The World
Consider your budget
Most snake proof hunting boots range in price from about $100 through to $300. While you can find boots that cost less than $100, they are typically low quality and won’t have the same level of durability as a well-made product. With a product like snake proof hunting boots, it’s usually better to save your money and purchase a high-quality product. This will ensure that you remain comfortable while hunting and are safe from snake bites.
The 5 Best Snake Proof Boots
Here are the 5 best snake proof boots. They are all well-made and packed with useful features.
1. Rocky Men’s 16 Inch Snake Hunting Boot
This well-made pair of snake hunting boots from Rocky is packed with features. The upper is constructed from a combination of full grain leather and ultra-durable nylon. This combination is lightweight while providing excellent protection from snake bites. The nylon part of the upper features a camouflage print with twigs and leaves, helping you blend into your surroundings.
The shaft of the boot is 16-inches in height, which will protect you from the vast majority of snake strikes. The laces that wind up the shaft make it simple to secure the boot and obtain a snug fit.
These boots use a Prolight BioMech outsole made from natural rubber, which provides excellent traction in all weather conditions. Inside the shoe is a breathable GORE-TEX® liner which helps to wick sweat away from the feet.
- Natural rubber outsole
- Excellent camouflage age
- Excellent sweat-wicking properties
- Some customers report water penetrating the shoe in very wet conditions
- Guaranteed Rocky Waterproof Construction
- EVA/ Rubber Outsole
- EVA Footbed
- Inside Side Zipper
- 16 Inches Of Snakeproof Protection
2. Thorogood Men’s Snake Boot 17″ Waterproof 1400 Hunting Boot
Thorogood is mostly known for their high-quality sporting shoes. However, they have a fantastic range of hunting products, including these snake proof boots. The upper is made from full grain leather and 1000 denier nylon. This is a lightweight combination of materials prevents a snake strike from penetrating the boot. The boot’s shaft height is 17” which is slightly higher than many other snake proof boots on the market.
These boots use a thick synthetic outsole, which provides excellent traction. They are pull-on boots with a wide 17” boot opening that makes inserting your foot easy. The camouflage features sticks and leaves, perfect for most environments.
- Very well constructed boot
- Pull-on design makes them easy to slip on
- Higher than many other hunting boots
- Abrasion resistant toe cap
- Not as well camouflaged as some other boots
- SNAKEGUARD EXTREME MATERIAL weaves layers of interlocking synthetic fabric into an impenetrable barrier to create snake proof boots that remain lightweight and flexible
- MOSSY OAK BREAK-UP INFINITY camouflage hunting boots use digitally enhanced elements to break up outlines at any distance
- DURABLE 3M SCOTCHGUARD over premium leather and Cordura makes long-lasting waterproof boots that stand the test of time on rugged terrain
- Z-TRAC TRACTION OUTSOLE features gripping pad and deep lugs designed to dig deep into mud for hunting and hiking boots that provide superior traction no matter the terrain
- DUAL-DENSITY COMFORT FOOTBED uses strategic concentrations of polyurethane under heel and ball strike zone to absorb impacts and wick away moisture for the most comfortable men’s boots out there
3. Rocky Red Mountain Waterproof Snake Boot
This is another great product from Rocky. It features a natural leather and fabric upper guaranteed to prevent a snake bite. The shaft height is 18” from the arch, which means you are safe from most high-striking snakes. The natural rubber outer sole is solid and provides excellent traction.
The interior of the boot has a dry-core lining, which is waterproof and reduces odours. Although the boots are lace-up, they can be slid on and off very easily. This is a highly durable and comfortable pair of snake proof hunting boots perfect for any environment.
- 16 Inches of Snake Proof Protection
- Rocky Briar & Thorn Guard
- Realtree EDGE High Abrasion Snake Guard - The Lightest & Most Flexible Snake Guard on the Market
- Light and flexible cement construction
- Rubber Outsole with Camouflage Wrapped EVA Midsole
4. Danner Men’s Vital 17″ Waterproof Snake Boot
This is a very high-end snake proof hunting boot designed for keen hunters. It is a fully imported boot with a natural leather upper and durable rubber sole. It is secured with a speed lace system that ensures a very snug fit. Once secured, you can also use the zip on the side to quickly get into or out of the boots.
This is a lightweight boot with a shaft that measures approximately 15.5”. The toe and heel caps add durability to the boot, ensuring that you will get many years of use from them. They are extremely comfortable boots to wear, with a GORE-TEX® lining and a three-Density open-Cell polyurethane ortholite footbed.
- Extremely well made and comfortable to wear
- The side zipper makes them convenient to take off or put on
- The all natural materials are waterproof yet breathable
- Moisture-wicking lining and padded footbed are excellent features
- This model is not camouflaged, so it might not be the best choice wen hunting birds
- GORE-TEX waterproof breathable lining. Side-zip entry for easy on and off.
- Rugged hardware for secure fit and long-lasting performance.
- Cushioning open-cell OrthoLite footbed. Thermoplastic PU shank. EVA cushioning and shock absorbing midsole.
- TERRA FORCE platform offers lightweight performance and stability.
- Danner Pronghorn outsole offers superior traction on rugged terrain.
5. LaCrosse Men’s 4xAlpha 16″ Waterproof Hunting Snake Boot
This is a 100% rubber hunting boot that is designed for hunters who operation wet environments. The thick rubber will protect your feet and legs from snake strike, while keeping you dry and comfortable in harsh conditions. These hunting boots also use a 4mm neoprene covering to improve the durability of the exterior.
The boot’s interior is covered with the XpressCool fabric lining. This lining helps to keep your feet warm in winter and has excellent moisture-wicking properties. There is also an anti-friction sock liner, which reduces the risk of chafing when wearing the boots for long periods. The EVA-injected midsole adds cushioning, make them even more comfortable to wear.
- Completely waterproof
- Pull-on design makes them easy to slip on
- Rugged rubber material that will last for years
- Moisture-Wicking lining makes them very comfortable to wear
- Sizing is quite tight, so ordering half a size up is recommended
- Flexible Snake Guard material for comfortable protection
- Quad Core technology with four layers of cushion and support underfoot
- Active Fit with adjustable rubber gusset for easy on/off and a secure, comfortable fit on foot
- Multilayer rubber on the toe and heel plus a full shin guard for added durability and protection
- Moisture-wicking and quick-drying polyester jersey liner