There’s far more to hunting a deer than having a great gun, scope, or bow. Of course, the better your equipment, the better your chances are of downing that beauty you’ve been dreaming of. However, other things are important when it comes to hunting deer.
Deer attractants come in various types and are made up of many different ingredients. There are liquids, sprays, food, blocks, powders, and more. It can be a dilemma trying to decide which will work best for your specific needs.
With a good gun or bow and a great attractant, you run a good chance of getting the deer you want. We offer a list of five choices that run the gamut of options available, along with factors that make them the best available. We hope you find just what you want and get out there to get your prize buck next hunting season.
1. TINK’S #69 Doe-in-Rut Buck Lure
Tink’s #69 is a buck lure that is made from 100% natural doe estrous urine, which means it is urine taken while a doe is in heat. The product can be used with drag rags, wicks, scent bombs or even cotton balls. It can be messy to use, as it is liquid, but is capable of attracting bucks in rut from a reasonable distance away. You want to use this product from the moment of rut until you notice that urge drop away. Using it a few days beyond that can still pull in a buck or two, depending on chance and size of the deer population near you.
- Most likely urine attractor for bucks in rut
- Can act as attractant, as well as cover scent
- Not as efficient in area with heavy hunting
- Natural doe estrous;Collected from live whitetails during the estrous cycle;Tink's special ingredient to attract bucks
2. Antler King Honey Hole Mix
Honey Hole offers three varieties or rapeseed, as well as two varieties of turnips, all of which are known to be favored by deer. With this product, you simply plant the contents, tilling is not required. Removing the top layer of soil is enough to plant, and the product is hardy enough to grow without any more help. The planting can occur in spring or summer and will keep deer coming back the whole season long. Once the weather gets cold, the plants convert into sweet sugars which will draw in more deer than before.
- Five varieties of brassicas known to attract deer
- Very little care required and will keep deep coming back
- Requires initial planting and wait time which may not appeal to all
- Fast growing and easy to establish
- For best results plant in late summer or early fall.
- Comprised of 5 varieties of Rape and Turnips, 3 lb. bag plants 1/2 acre.
- Treated with Antler King's Ultra Coat Orange for higher germination rates and increased forage yield
- Recommended fertilizer is 19-19-19 or 13-13-13 at 300lbs. per acre. pH should be between 5.5-6.5.
3. Lucky Buck -PoundM20 Deer Mineral and Attractant
Lucky Buck Mineral is an apple flavored mineral that will make deer healthier, and aid them in developing large racks. It is designed to taste great but to limit the amount the deer will eat, in order to keep them healthy. It is suggested you use this product year round and doing so is easy. You simply dump the mineral on the ground or a log and deer will come to eat. They can work on making big racks and will come back when hunting season is on to feed up, making it easy for you to get a prize buck.
- High trace mineral content brings in more deer
- Unyielding scent can be sniffed from long distance
- May take time for deer to find and use product
- Lucky Buck LBM20 Deer Mineral & Attr
4. Wildgame Innovations Acorn Rage
Acorn Rage is made to help with deer health while also working on antler growth. This product comes fully mixed, so there is no effort needed on your part. It is suggested you use Acorn Rage in a feeder or on the ground, but you can also place it nearly anywhere else. The product is a nutritional supplement that is ideal for attracting and keeping whitetail deer where you want them.
- Concentrated formula that is ready to use without mixing
- Easy to use and likely to increase chance of seeing big game
- Make take time for deer to find and use product
- Acorn Rage was strategically developed to be both attractive to deer while being nutritionally important in aiding their overall health and helping support superior antler growth.
- This concentrated formula is ready to use right out of the bag with no mixing required. Acorn Rage is not a flavoring, not an extract, not a scent or aroma, but an actual real acorn taste that drives deer into a RAGE of hunger all season long
- Place directly on ground, in trough feeders or free-choice gravity feeders
- Year round nutritional deer supplement for attracting and managing whitetail deer.
5. Outdoor Hunting Lab Doe Estrus Scent Buck Attractant for Whitetail Deer
This doe estrus scent for deer hunting is a premium, natural product that contains pure whitetail doe urine from free-ranging deer. Outdoor Hunting Lab’s exclusive formula breaks down the tough odor molecules in fresh deer pee so they easily evaporate into the air — carrying their scent to great distances. Drag this scented liquid around your hunting area and let it dry on its own so the smell really sticks. Or, use a scent dripper to create a more powerful impact – with less product per acre!
This deer hunting attractant is so simple and effective, many hunters have told us Outdoor Hunting Lab is just like hitting a “doe estrus” jackpot!used during peak rut but also works other times. The final scent, Peak Estrous, is best used as rut season comes near.
- Two types of urine for different situations, as needed
- Combo pack works through the entire hunting season
- More expensive than other options
- ✔ NATURAL DEER URINE - Hot Doe Deer Urine contains all the pheromones and compounds that drive the big bucks crazy. Collected from real does in HEAT- our farm of 600 live whitetail deer gives us the ability to produce the FRESHEST deer urine that exceeds USDA and ATA Deer Protection Guidelines.
- ✔ HIDE YOUR HUMAN SCENT - Scent control is very important in all aspects of your hunt, from scouting to checking trail cameras to actually hunting. If you’re going to fool a deer’s nose with deer scents, you also need to reduce your own scent. Spray this deer lure around your clothes and boots to hide your own human scent in the field.
- ✔ GET THE MOST SCRAPES FOR YOUR MONEY - It's so much easier to buy a bulk jug of Deer Urine that you can use in your scent drags all season long. Instead of smaller bottles that don't last, utilize our gallon size jugs that give you the biggest bang for your Buck.
- ✔ WIN THE LOCAL BUCK POLL THIS SEASON, USE THE DEER URINE THAT WORKS! Our active doe scent is collected in a state-of-the-art stainless steel facility with a proprietary synchronization protocol resulting in the closest possible replication of live scent. Use this buck lure in scent drags and mock scrapes in early, rut, and late season hunting.
- 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE*** Since our Hot Doe is the purest and highest quality, we’re sure you’re going to love it. We stand by our product! So if for any reason you’re not happy, by all means, contact us! Try TODAY and if it does not work we refund you. No questions asked!
Buying Guide for Best Deer Attractant
Here are some of the most important things you should look for before trying out a deer attractant for yourself.
Of course, price is always an important factor in buying anything, especially hunting baits and scents. While you want to offer enough money that whatever it is can run its course, you also want to be careful not to pay too much or buy something that won’t work.
Always research what you are about to buy first so that if there is any doubt as to how well it will work, you can eliminate those doubts before spending your hard-earned dollars on something sub-par!
Does the Scent Appeal?
Make sure whatever product you’re thinking of using actually appeals to deer. There are so many different scents and smells out there that it can be difficult to narrow it down and find one that will legitimately work for you. However, spending the time and effort before buying your deer attractant should eliminate any possibility of throwing away money on something that won’t help.
How strong is the deer scent? It may seem like a good idea to buy something with a really high strength because more is better, but this isn’t always true when it comes to smell. In fact, too much scent could drive the deer from your area completely rather than drawing them in closer! If you want a product with maximum efficiency, make sure whatever you choose has a strength that makes sense for your needs.
Other Important Factors
There are numerous other factors you should look at when trying to decide what the absolute best deer attractant will be. Some of these include:
- Country of Origin
- The ingredients
- What type of deer it attracts Instructions for use
- Whether or not there is an expiration date
- How well it works
For example, if it’s made in another country that isn’t known for high-quality products, this could make the difference between getting the deer you want and wasting your time and money on something subpar. And if you can find one with all-natural ingredients (like Doe Urine Plus), then that would be even better!
More: Best 2 Man Tree Stand
What Types of Deer Attractant are There?
This one is great for areas where water sources are nearby because it can be applied directly onto the ground. If you have an area where this will work well, then the liquid is definitely your best option! It includes all-natural ingredients and lasts for quite some time. Furthermore, liquid works especially well when paired with other types of deer scents.
This type is exactly what it sounds like – a spray bottle with a deer scent in the solution. Sprays last longer than liquids because they don’t have to be reapplied as often, so if you’re going for extended hunts or will only have one shot at a particular area, this may work better for you.
If you can find an all-natural version of this scent, then that would be even better! How long it lasts depends on how big your bottle is and how much you use each time, but focusing on other areas will definitely help extend the lifespan of your spray scent.
Like liquid deer attractants, the gel is applied directly onto the ground. However, it is more likely to pick up dirt or debris because of how smooth it is, so be careful when applying this scent.
It usually lasts longer than sprays do but not as long as liquids do, making gel a great middle-of-the-road option for hunters who want every opportunity to get their deer without needing to worry about reapplying.
The most obvious way to use deer attractant is with actual bait! Set out some food for the deer in your area and let them find you naturally instead of having to work for it.
This type can vary based on what you plant in your area (and also on what you are using the attractant), but generally speaking, plants like clover, alfalfa, and soybeans are good for attracting deer. Additionally, some kinds of food work better than others. For example, acorns are especially great because they’re high in fat, which deer love!
No matter how you plan on using it or what type of attractant you choose to use, make sure that it works best for you. This will help ensure that your time hunting is successful over the season, no matter when your hunts take place! Good luck out there!
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best type of deer attractant to use?
There are numerous types that can work well depending on your needs, but liquid and sprays tend to be more popular among hunters than gel or bait. As long as you choose one with high-quality ingredients (which all Come Urine Plus products do), then you’ll be good to go!
How long does it take for deer attractant to work?
It depends on how much you put out, what kind of product you chose, whether or not it is applied directly onto the ground (versus spread over nearby plants), and if it has an expiration date. Generally speaking, though, deer come within 24 hours of using this product.
What is the best time to use deer attractants?
In general, it’s best to put out your scent during hunting season and as close as possible to when you plan on hunting. However, if you know that a particular kind of deer comes through your area at a certain time of year (like, during mating season), this would be a suitable time for attracting them!
What scents are best for attracting deer?
Plants like clover, alfalfa, and soybeans tend to attract deer the most, but the food is always a good option! Acorns are especially great because they’re high in fat, which deer love.
What kind of food can I put out with my deer attractant?
Almost any kind of food will work well when used with an attractant (especially acorns), but make sure that whatever you choose doesn’t spoil or rot quickly. The last thing you want is it turning before the deer come through your area! Other than this, feel free to experiment until you find something that works best for you!
How long does deer attractant last?
Depending on how much you use, deer attractants can last anywhere from a few weeks to several months. The best way to keep it fresh is by storing it in a cool, dry place, so the scent doesn’t go bad before you have a chance to use it!
Will deer attractant work for other kinds of animals besides deer?
This all depends on what type of product you choose. Some are scented based on common plants in your area, whereas others might be scented to attract specific kinds of wildlife that live there. If you plan to use this to attract different kinds of wildlife, make sure that it says so online or at your local store!
What are the ingredients in deer attractants?
Each type of deer attractant tends to have different ingredients that change based on what scents it uses. Most liquids and sprays tend to use food (like acorns, apples, etc.), while gels tend to use chemicals like salts and proteins. Be sure to check with your supplier or hunting store to see exactly what it is made out of before you commit!
How do I make my own deer attractive?
You can’t really create your own (at least not one that will actually work for this kind of thing!), but you can try finding recipes online if you’re feeling creative! You can check out this video:
Can deer sense smell?
Deer have a pretty good sense of smell, so yes, they can definitely pick up on scents. This is why it’s best to use high-quality ingredients in your deer attractant, as well as make sure that you spread out enough so the scent actually reaches them! If you follow these guidelines, then you should be able to fool even the most seasoned buck into coming right through your areas!
As the winter draws near and deer begin to look for areas where they can spend more time, consider using one of these top-rated products as a way to draw those deer in closer! Keep your family safe by not putting all your eggs in one basket.
Make sure that whatever you choose is effective enough so that it isn’t a waste of money but also won’t be dangerous if it doesn’t work. If you want to have an easier hunt or even just keep mealtimes exciting – then give one of these great products a try!